7 Fun Ways to Use Bone Broth in the Summer
What’s not to love about bone broth? It’s a rich, savory, elixir that feels like a hug in a mug, and can easily become a daily ritual you look forward to. Whether you’ve already jumped on the bone broth bandwagon or you’re just curious about incorporating this superfood (or should we say superdrink?) into your diet, we’re sharing some ways to use bone broth beyond sipping on a warm mug of it. No reason to stop loving your bone broth as the temperatures rise!
Add bone broth to a cocktail or mocktail.
First, and one of my favorites, is to add two to four ounces of bone broth to your favorite cocktail or mocktail.
- You can’t go wrong with chicken or beef bone broth in a Bloody Mary.
- Try fresh, sliced jalapeños muddled in lime juice with tequila and a light chicken bone broth like our Nopalito.
- Bourbon fan? Bourbon and beef bone broth with a dash of hot sauce or Sriracha is a must try.
- Prefer your drinks a little sweeter? Honeydew melons, cantaloupe, pineapple, and papaya go surprisingly well with a light chicken bone broth like our Spring Clean.
Make bone broth the base in your summer favorites.
Summertime is grilling season and there are so many ways to add bone broth to all your backyard party faves:
- Make a wing sauce with apple cider vinegar, buffalo sauce, and bone broth
- Add bone broth to your favorite marinades or sauces -- chimichurri, BBQ sauce, tzatziki sauce, aioli (bone broth helps it keep its shape), and more!
- Popsicles - a light chicken bone broth pairs well with rich berries and melons
- It’s still a party even if you’re not firing up the grill. Bone broth works great when cooking InstantPot or Crockpot tacos, carnitas, pulled meat, or roasts for a crowd.
Add bone broth to Buddha bowls for a nutritional boost.
Buddha bowls, power bowls, protein Bowls. Whatever you like to call them, I love them because they can pack a powerful nutritional punch when they focus on high-quality protein and a rainbow of veggies. And because they are easy to eat chilled, they’re a summertime favorite. They’re also an easy way to work in a daily serving of bone broth without sipping it warm. Here's how...
- Cook your grains, or your cauliflower rice, in bone broth!
- The secret to craving these bowls is in the sauce, hummus, or dressing-- use bone broth as the base for a nutrient-packed version!
Mix bone broth into your smoothie.
Hear me out on this one. Savory smoothies are definitely worth trying. Yes, fruit smoothies feel like dessert, but therein lies the problem. Most are packed with so much fruit that they’ll send your blood sugar on a rollercoaster and lead to a day of cravings. Not my idea of a fun summer day! Set your savory smoothie skepticism aside for just a second and imagine these combinations, blended with ice, on a hot day.
- We drink tomato juice cold, right? And green juices cold. So why not a smoothie with tomatoes, greens, and bone broth cold? It’s like a chilled Bloody Mary.
- Chicken bone broth, baby greens, and mini/baby cucumbers and lemon.
- Make it Mexican (or Tex-Mex) with tomatoes, tomatillos, chiles, avocado, lime, and Tajin – great with chicken or beef bone broth.
A light chicken bone broth also works really with these combinations - the fruit gives a sweet and slightly savory flavor.
- Chicken bone broth, green apple and ginger
- Chicken bone broth, mini-baby cucumbers and melon (Honeydew, cantaloupe or watermelon work great)
- Chicken bone broth with blackberries or assorted berries
Chill your bone broth soup.
A light and refreshing chilled soup can be the perfect summertime lunch or quick dinner. Follow these tips for creating the perfect chilled soup.
- Use tomatoes and or cucumbers to keep it light and fresh.
- Add your favorite fresh herbs and spices.
- No need to heat then chill unless you’re using tougher vegetables such as cauliflower, squash, and leeks like our Chilled Cauliflower Vichyssoise.
- Add avocado for creaminess. Canned coconut milk is great too.
- Blend! Blending creates a smooth texture that is perfect for cold veggies.
Let’s circle back to drinking your bone broth, though. There’s no need to fear drinking a warm mug of bone broth on a summer day - most of us are still sipping on hot coffee, lattes (some us on a bone broth latte), and tea to start our days anyway. If a hot mug is too much, FOND Bone Broth is still delicious at room temp. Flavors that are light and bright are the best when the weather warms!
Cheers to summer brothin'!